Thursday, June 17, 2010

Father's Day Approaches



A real parent makes sacrifices in life to ensure their children are happy, healthy, well taken care of, & would do ANYTHING for their children.They always come first & ALWAYS WILL. A parent loves their children unconditionally no matter what they have done or what they can do. It Takes More Than Blood To Call Yourself A Parent!

                 History of Father's Day...

It would be interesting to know how Father's Day came into practice and celebrated worldwide with an equal sincerity and respect as any other significant holidays. Here's a short history on the holiday, and meaning of the different colors of roses to be worn that Day. You may even refer the page to others to share the information by clicking on the link given below.

http://www.theholidayspot.com/fathersday/history.htm


About 4,000 years ago a young boy named Elmusu wished his Babylonian father good health and a long life by carving a Father's Day message on a card made out of clay. No one knows what happened to Elmesu or his father, but the tradition of having a special day honoring fathers has continued through the years in countries across the world.

The Countries, where the Catholic Church were of significant influence on the culture of the society, Father's Day is celebrated on St. Joseph's Day (March 19). However, a more secular celebration which is not associated with any religion is followed in recent times to highlight the increased diversity among people from all over the globe coexisting together in one place.

Father's Day is celebrated popularly on 3rd Sunday in June in many parts of the world. The idea for creating a day for children to honor their fathers began in Spokane, Washington. A woman by the name of Sonora Smart Dodd thought of the idea for Father's Day while listening to a Mother's Day sermon in 1909. Having been raised by her father, Henry Jackson Smart, after her mother died, Sonora wanted her father to know how special he was to her. It was her father that made all the parental sacrifices and was, in the eyes of his daughter, a courageous, selfless, and loving man. Sonora's father was born in June, so she chose to hold the first Father's Day celebration in Spokane, Washington on the 19th of June, 1910.

In 1924 President Calvin Coolidge proclaimed the third Sunday in June as Father's Day. President Nixon, in 1972, established a permanent national observance of Father's Day to be held on the third Sunday of June. So Father's Day was born as a token of love and gratitude that a daughter cherishes for her beloved father. Roses are the Father's Day flowers: red to be worn for a living father and white if the father has died.

The love and care of a father is as essential as sunlight is in our lives. It is his protection that shelters us, his care that nurtures us, his guidance that leads us and his love that fills us with joy. Father's Day is the day to pay tribute to that wondrous creature called the Father. Great people all over the world have, from time to time, praised their own fathers; pondered over the greatness of fatherhood and commented on what goes on to make ideal Fathers.... I call my Dad ... Grandfather(he is in heaven now)...

Any man can be a father. It takes someone special to be a dad.
~ Anonymous

 As Father's Day gets closer I find myself missing my grandfather and my birth-father.  I guess to some this would sound very strange but then again with the way life is in our society today maybe not so much... See my mom and dad were divorced when I was fourteen/fifteen years of age... My birth-dad missed a lot in my life... I think for many years I wanted to blame him ... I think perhaps I did... then I blamed my mom... I shouldn't have.. She shouldered the load just about all alone but by the grace of my GRANDFATHER.... (who is now in heaven)... these are things that weigh heavy on my heart this Father's Day... I am now 41 and this issue of divorce and absent Fathers still grabs at my heart and tugs at my soul like it were yesterday that my very own father walked away.  He divorced my mother yet somehow it felt more like he divorced my mother and me...For when he left he left... When I realized that this was the way it was to be I spent my days trying to build a wall around my heart so that no-one could touch that place that he had hurt.... In my humble opinion when parents divorce they should remember that it is the children they should strive to keep peace for and in spite of each other... The money, the fighting , the blame game only sends out a message of hurt and anger to the child...In my case my father was gone and did not return to my life on any stable level for many years... and when I say stable I mean one time maybe two times a year since my daughter was born (she is twenty now)...  I have come to accept this although it still hurts and I think I have demolished my own personal relationships due to but not in spite of this.... I love my birth- father very much and I believe he loves me however I don't think he comprehends the true meaning of just what a FATHER is and or how to be one for he never has had to be one (at least not with me or my sister)... 
Maybe my ramblings do not make a bit of sense, maybe I seem like a mad woman at 41 for rambling here and now however this is me and my stuff..... and on Father's Day -- I wanted to give a little history for history sake and I wanted to say ... Happy Father's Day (to my MOM) (my grand-father who is now in Heaven) and also to (my Birth-Father) for although he was not present for many years and we still have unresolved issues he is who he is and I do love him..... 

Blessed Be
Breze

No comments:

Post a Comment